Defeating the Speed of Light

non-computer related scientific discussions go here. how does stuff work, how far is moon from sun, how do monorail trains work ..etc

Defeating the Speed of Light

Postby KEN » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:03 pm

Any of you have any thoughts on defeating speed of light? :P
I asked a few people, most of them gave me the "plank" way which is totally wrong.
I made a pic in photoshop to explain better:
Untitled-1 copy.jpg


there is a 1 light year distance between you and a button.You make a plank that long and push from your side so the button gets pressed on the other side 1 light year away.
So you defeated the speed of light? this is wrong since when you push something it goes with the speed of sound which is alot slower than light so it will infact take alot more time than 1 light year for the button to be pressed.

The only thing I have in my head is through worm hole. You bend space and bring point A closer to point B and you can travel light year distances almost instantly but well there is no known way to bend space so blah.. what do you guys think?
User avatar
KEN
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 756
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:11 am

Re: Defeating the Speed of Light

Postby Legu » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:30 pm

First of all, we can only discuss about the speed of light, if light has a speed at all.
I had like to start with peter russels quote:
From lights point of view there is no space,no time no mass. Light does not exist within the world of spacetime and matter.

So we can conclude that space and time are not fixed.

Furthermore, if a stationary observer obsers a light-ray going by, it goes 186,000 miles in one second. So someone who moves with 50% of the speed of light would see the light only 50% of its speed, eventhough the speed of life didnt change.
Just like 87% of speed of light is 93000miles in half a second. So someone who moves 99,5% of the speed of light sees only a tenth of the actual speed. Einstein for an example also realized that there is smt called the spacetime continuum. It is not like space. It is not like time. Also not a mixury of the two. It is defintely smt that we dont know or can describe. What we do know is that different observers see differing amounts of space and time. So, space and time VARY. Some of u might now the famous formula, s²-t² = constant. it turns out to be constant, and the distance never changes, althought what we experience in space and time, changes.

So finally...what happens if u travel 100% of speed of light? If u did understand what i wrote before, u will understand that when velocity = 100% speed of light : 0miles in 0 seconds. So we come bk to our basic idea, that light does not exist within space-time. From that we can conclude that for a photon,birht and death are the same moment. So what is this c (186000 miles/sec) at all? It is not speed. When u observe a light-ray from the bk of the room to ur eye, in spacetime the beginning and the end of the light-ray are the SAME. Spacetime has bend, so they are the same. So what actually happens is that we stech out 186000 miles of SPACE for ONE SECOND of time. I hope i did confuse u ppl.
User avatar
Legu
Allie
Allie
 
Posts: 232
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:47 pm

Re: Defeating the Speed of Light

Postby Sethioz » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:11 am

you're both wrong.
why would plank travel on speed of sound ???? it travels as fast as you can move it, however in theory it should be faster than speed of light, that is if that plank would be light enought. if its 1 light year away, that plank would probably weight more than earth and it would be impossible to move.
If there would be light enought material that can be moved, it would press the button as soon as you move the plank, since it does not have to travel anywhere. it is already in present, near you and near button, therefore it doesn't have to travel more than like 1cm (or however far it is from button).
i think it would work, but only in theory, since there are too many variables.

- this stick / plank need to be made of material that does not stretch / compact. some thing like glass or water, that cannot be stretched, but even water and glass can be compressed / stretched little bit and over long distance, that is enought significant not to move at all. in other words, even if there is 1cm between button and stick, you would end up pushing it like 100000km before it would move 1cm on other end. if that material would be impossibel to bend, stretch or compress, it would work.

- there can't be any friction between that stick/plank and surrounding, meaning it can only be done in space, where there is no air or other any other gas. if there is any kind of friction, you would not be able to move that stick

- that stick / plank needs to be made of material that is nearly weightless, otherwise it would weight too much to be moved.


Now as about light not having speed, that is complete bullshit. nowdays there are super high speed cameras that are able to capture speed of light.
Speed of light is 299,792,458 metres per second or about 186282m/s (miles per second)
Light is also effected by gravity, which most of people do not know. for example in black holes, light gets effected by gravity and this is why black hole "sucks" the light into it.

Legu you are so wrong about the light source and destination being same. this is complete bullshit.
if you would travel at speed of light, for example if you start moving at speed of light from the source and look back, you would not see the light in your eye, you would see it behind you.
again, there are cameras that can capture speed of light, they have observed how light travels when light source is turned on.
nothing bends if you turn on light, it travels, just like anything else.
if you do enought research, you might find a video where they show speed of light in slow motion.

finally, easiest way to beat speed of light. is to make a test.
unfortunetly i do not have enought funds to do that, but i have perfect idea that would work in reality.
1. make a "test tube" for light, like a light tunnel. something like fibre optic cable.
2. make that test tube long enought, so there is 1 second delay between light source and destination ( could be any time, i just chose 1 second)
3. leave 1 meter between source and destination
4. take a 99cm long stick, made of something hard, like glass (1m glass pipe is perfect)
5. make a small electrical circuit, that when broken, turns on the light source
6. connect stick's source end (one you are touching) to that circuit, so when stick is moved, light turns on
7. now all i have to do, is push the pipe to the end, until it reaches the end and pushes that "button"

ok i left few steps out, since i wrote it out of my head. i would also make a light sensitive switch at back. if light shines on it, it would get the reading and if that switch is touched (by that glass stick), it would turn off.
so this test would illustrate "beating speed of light" perfectly.
> i push the glass stick
> light source is turned ON as soon as stick moves
> after 1 second light reaches end and would trigger the switch
> glass stick also triggers the switch (in different way)
> i would definetly push that glass stick thru 1cm faster than 1s
> at end, i would trigger the switch using glass pipe, before light reaches it.
> end result: beating speed of light

This could be done in straight line, but you would have to wrap that fibre optic about 7.5 times around the earth, which is not that much actually. its about 44000km around the earth.
but again, in such distance ,that glass stick would weight like 1000 tons and wouldn't be possible to push it, unless in space, but then again, you are also weightless, so you need thrusters, but thrusters might not be fast enought to push that pipe in less than 1 second.


edit:
what is actually remarkable.
it takes 134ms for light to travel around world
ping between american and europe, is about 120ms avarage (internet ping)
now think ... most countries use fibre optic, yes. it would take it down to about 67ms, but think about all the conversions. fibre optic uses binary, it has to be converted by all the machines, via ISP, via computers..etc
and still, that ping is so low. its quite amazing how fast computers work nowdays.
one thing is to get data from point a to point b, but other thing is to convert all that to useable data.
like if someone from usa plays in europe server, their ping is usually 120ms (lowest ive seen is like 100).
that is extremely fast, considering that it would take about 67ms for light to travel that distance alone.
it's just amazing thing i thought is worth mentioning in here.
User avatar
Sethioz
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 4757
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:11 pm
Location: unknown

Re: Defeating the Speed of Light

Postby Legu » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:14 am

Sethioz, again, you are missing the point.
Ofc we can measure how much space time travels in one second. But it isnt "speed". What do u mean by speed at all? V= S/T? But okay lets hear ur theory then, imagine you are a lightbeam. Now from ur point of view, what do you actually see?
User avatar
Legu
Allie
Allie
 
Posts: 232
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:47 pm

Re: Defeating the Speed of Light

Postby KEN » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:54 am

Sethioz wrote:why would plank travel on speed of sound ???? it travels as fast as you can move it, however in theory it should be faster than speed of light, that is if that plank would be light enought. if its 1 light year away, that plank would probably weight more than earth and it would be impossible to move.
If there would be light enought material that can be moved, it would press the button as soon as you move the plank, since it does not have to travel anywhere. it is already in present, near you and near button, therefore it doesn't have to travel more than like 1cm (or however far it is from button).
i think it would work, but only in theory, since there are too many variables.

You're wrong. When you push something it doesn't move instantly, the "message" wave of the push is send from one end to the other in the material and this "message" wave moves at the speed of sound.So if you calculate how much time it will take speed of sound to travel 1 lightyear through wood, it will be around 50,000 years or more. It's almost impossible to notice this with small objects but with larger objects you can notice it when seen in slow motion.

Legu wrote:What do u mean by speed at all? V= S/T?

Please use full words like Velocity instead of V. I'm not a science student and I don't know much of formulas and stuff because I suck at it. :P
I disagree with you though, Light does have a speed and it is the fastest in the universe right now.
Velocity = Distance / Time taken
x = 299 792 458 meter / 1 second
I don't see why light can't have a speed.
User avatar
KEN
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 756
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:11 am

Re: Defeating the Speed of Light

Postby Legu » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:35 am

It doesnt have a speed because it simply doesnt exist in spacetime. It is like talking about 3d objects. Have u ever seen in ur life a 3d object? No. U live in 4d. Everything consists of infinity many 3d object, where we can refer that the 4th dimension is duration. So, when u talk aobut a cube, u cant trully imagine it, because u see it with your eyes. And your eyes need time to see it. (Light travels from ur eyes to the object and bk) Same goes when u look into space. U see objects, stars or whatsoever far away, however it is possible that they dont even exist anymore. Some of them might still exist though, but the idea is that u spee in spacetime.
User avatar
Legu
Allie
Allie
 
Posts: 232
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:47 pm

Re: Defeating the Speed of Light

Postby KEN » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:24 am

I see what you mean. This might confuse others. Easy way to explain it is that if someone is looking at us from a million light years away planet with a telescope, they will see dinosaurs instead of us. I get what you mean but I still still dont understand why you're saying light have no "speed" :/ if it doesn't exist in space and time then where does it exist?
User avatar
KEN
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 756
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:11 am

Re: Defeating the Speed of Light

Postby Sethioz » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:40 pm

bah guys, you 2 should not be near science.
you guys don't seem to get any of the points at all.

If you are light and travel, you see everything the way anyone sees it, just really fast ..duh
if you would travel in space on speed of light, you would see "hyper space", just lot of "lights"
it is so fast, that it would seem like a wall or beam.h
if you are moving on speed of light .. why would you not see surroundings ??? DUH !
you're being stupid. if you have camera that records in super slow motion (faster than speed of light) and you are moving at speed of light and capture with that camera, then you would see all the surroundings just like before. HOWEVER if light source is lit BEHIND you and you reach the point before light behind you, then you just see same place without that light, if that light source is lit in FRONT of you, you would see everything light up.
its pure COMMON SENSE.


You're wrong. When you push something it doesn't move instantly, the "message" wave of the push is send from one end to the other in the material and this "message" wave moves at the speed of sound.So if you calculate how much time it will take speed of sound to travel 1 lightyear through wood, it will be around 50,000 years or more. It's almost impossible to notice this with small objects but with larger objects you can notice it when seen in slow motion.

no no NO.
you didn't consider any of what i said. you're not even reading what i said or you just can't be scientist.
i gave you perfect example, how to beat speed of light.
there is no "message" or speed of sound .. DUH
what you are saying, happens ONLY if stick is made of material that allows it to compress, over long distance, that compress rate becomes huge and it is needed to push that stick many, many kilometers before it moves 1cm on other end, this is WHY i said you need material that DOES NOT compress, expand or move in any other way.

i can't bother argueing here, since it is pure logic and common sense, its so easy and can be proven with a simple test, but i don't have enought funds to show "defeating speed of light" demonstration. read again what i said and you realize it.
whoever say light doesn't exist or doesn't move..etc, its just bunch of crap.
its like if you drive your car on speed of light and turn on headlights, you would simply not see your headlights in front of you, light would not go in front of you, it would reflect from back of the headlights, so you would see them "glow" but it would not reflect in front of the car. its that simple.
again .. do some research ... duh

here's one video of light speed (visualization only). it is not exactly capturing the light of speed, but combining different videos to get same effect as it would be capturing the actual light.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtsXgODHMWk
User avatar
Sethioz
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 4757
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:11 pm
Location: unknown

Re: Defeating the Speed of Light

Postby PinPoint » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:40 pm

Legu wrote:
It doesnt have a speed because it simply doesnt exist in spacetime. It is like talking about 3d objects. Have u ever seen in ur life a 3d object? No. U live in 4d. Everything consists of infinity many 3d object, where we can refer that the 4th dimension is duration. So, when u talk aobut a cube, u cant trully imagine it, because u see it with your eyes. And your eyes need time to see it. (Light travels from ur eyes to the object and bk) Same goes when u look into space. U see objects, stars or whatsoever far away, however it is possible that they dont even exist anymore. Some of them might still exist though, but the idea is that u spee in spacetime.


you are denying light of having speed but you contradicted yourself in your argument. '' And your eyes need time to see it. (Light travels from ur eyes to the object and bk)...'' so if light needs time to do something then there must be a speed in which it does it. light does have speed as sethioz pointed out if you cared to read his earlier post.
User avatar
PinPoint
Special
Special
 
Posts: 128
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:41 pm

Re: Defeating the Speed of Light

Postby Legu » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:15 pm

Just because something needs time to achive a different state than its current one it doesnt mean that it must include "speed". Anyhow everyone sees what he wishes to see. U ppl learnt that light has speed and i cant do much about it. Everyone should believe in what he sees most logical.
User avatar
Legu
Allie
Allie
 
Posts: 232
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:47 pm

Re: Defeating the Speed of Light

Postby Sethioz » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:44 pm

Legu ... you're stupid.
stupid people see what they want, intelligent and smart people like me, see the reality / truth.
if you go to a physicist and tell them your story about light having no speed and that light just "teleports" from point to point or magically appears..etc, they will tell you the same thing, that you're stupid.

it was proven ages ago, that light has an actual SPEED and it moves from point "a" to point "b" just like ANY other object in this world, just like sound, car, bicycle ...etc, light just moves a lot faster, but it moves the same way.
just like if you drop something into water, waves go away from it in circles, those waves have speed ..etc.
just because you have very poor imagination and can't imagine light moving thru your room from light bulb to walls and bouncing off from walls into your eyes, doesn't mean that light does not have speed. it just means you're too stupid to realize how things work.
you completely ignored the perfect proof i brought here, how to visualize "defeating speed of light", nothing more to say if you just ignore things.
maybe one day i have enought money to buy about 300000km of fibre optic cable and enought space to set it all up, then i can make a video proof of "defeating speed of light" and also record both ends of fibre optic cable to show that it takes about 1 second for light to travel thru 300000km of fibre optic cable.

light DOES have movement speed and its been recorded using high speed cameras. whoever belives / says that speed does not have actual movement speed is simply a retard. and im not saying this to offend anyone, i say this because that's the truth. if person is UNABLE to understand that light has movement speed, then that person must have retarded brain and can be called retard, that's a fact, not an insult.
User avatar
Sethioz
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 4757
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:11 pm
Location: unknown

Re: Defeating the Speed of Light

Postby Legu » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:58 am

Its true that light needs 1 second to bend 300 000km of space. But it doesnt meant that this is called speed.
Also u are not right that im the only one who thinks so.
http://imaginingthetenthdimension.blogs ... speed.html
Other fine physichts believe in that theory.
I wonder how many ppl believe in ur 3000000km carbon wire method or wateva it is.
User avatar
Legu
Allie
Allie
 
Posts: 232
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:47 pm

Re: Defeating the Speed of Light

Postby Sethioz » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:28 pm

so you are a retard? i can't even bother reading this, because title says it all "imagining"
i don't care about some fairy tales and imaginations. you're just a retard.
you can say same about sound then. that is "bends" your ears and brain and actually sound is coming from same place and then bends you around the universe so you hear it lol.
or some bullshit like that.

you can imagine being a genius and scientist, but in reality you're stupid. people can imagine a lot, but that does not change the reality.
i posted a video of speed of light, but guess you're too dumb to even look at it and realize that speed travels. it shows 1 trillion frames per second and shows how light moves.
i just have no more words, you're like some idiot who believed that earth is like a dish LOL
User avatar
Sethioz
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 4757
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:11 pm
Location: unknown

Re: Defeating the Speed of Light

Postby Legu » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:13 pm

I love how these discussions always end up in "haha ure a retard u dont think the same ways as i do!!". Like i said before everyone should believe/think/know or wateva (the word is right for him) in what he wants as long as it doesnt affect anyone in a negative way. I think such a site could have a bit more niveau when it comes to discussions. The thing about imagination is another interesting topic as well. Only creative people can surivive, as a "hacker" u should be aware of this though.

"people can imagine a lot, but that does not change the reality." Are you sure about that Sethioz?
User avatar
Legu
Allie
Allie
 
Posts: 232
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:47 pm

Re: Defeating the Speed of Light

Postby Sethioz » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:57 pm

ok now you're going offtopic, enough of this bullshit. light has speed and it does not magically bend the universe. its been proven, you just ignore the facts and videos and just blabber something else.
if you talk such shit, you probably even don't know what particle accelerator is.
paritcle accelerators are capable of accelerating particles on speed of light or almost as fast and they MOVE, they do not instantly bend the universe .. lol
its been proven over and over again that light does have an actually MOVEMENT speed and it does not bend universe.
just like if someone would tell you that sound has no speed, that in reality sound just bends the universe and make you feel like it has speed, anyone with bit of brains would call that person a complete retard.

what you are saying is just retarded. you say that if someone imagines something (some lunatic), then it becomes reality ? lol whatever ...
i imagine that we are living in world of zombies and dinosaurs ... yet i don't see any of them and neither does anyone else. so hmm .. that makes you stupid, because i imagine it !!! but it won't happen.
so YES im sure about that imagining things in your mind does not change reality. you can imagine speed bending universe or whatever, but it won't change the hard proven FACT that speed travels on a speed.
...damn where did you get your brain from
User avatar
Sethioz
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 4757
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:11 pm
Location: unknown

Re: Defeating the Speed of Light

Postby PinPoint » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:12 am

legu you are a retard. the guy in the video doesnt dispute light not having a speed. what he says is people observe the speed of light differently, for instance if someone is travelling at half the speed of light the speed would seem different. he says that from lights point of view it has no speed because basically it cant see itself. so are you telling me you are travelling at the speed of light legu? as you seem adamant that light has no speed and the guy you used to help your stupid argument didnt help your argument but he did point out to me where you have gotten mixed up and made yourself look stupid.
the guy in the video is a retard aswell, he says that because light has no speed from its own point of view, birth and death are the same moment. so from his point of view, looking at a beam of light shine on a wall and bounce back to him takes no time because of birth and death being the same moment. but if this is true what he said then he must be travelling at the speed of light, which he is not.
User avatar
PinPoint
Special
Special
 
Posts: 128
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:41 pm

Re: Defeating the Speed of Light

Postby Sethioz » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:41 am

lol correct PinPoint. unfortunetly 99% of world is full of such idiots who do not have logical thinking and common sense (it should be called rare sense).
back in the days, people did not understand how world works, so they said it is a dish.
we are living in technology age and its been proven that light has an actual speed and it does move, just like any other matter / object.

this might sound bit .. stupid, but unfortunetly i can't test this myself, no proper equipment or funding.
first, did you know that whip (yes a whip) can reach subsonic speeds? this is why whips make that sound, its the actual sonic boom coming from the tip of the whip.
now .. if whip can reach such speed, imagine how high speed it would reach, if you put it on some super high speed motor, like 90000+ rpm (im sure they can achieve a LOT more than that) and replace whip with some super strong stick, that does not break under the huge pressure. or what happens if you do that experiment in 0 gravity and in vacuum, it has no air resistance, therefore it shouldn't have any force stopping it. imagine the kind of speeds the tip of that stick reaches, if you make it like 1km long and motor spins 90000+ rpm.
it's all math, which i can't bother doing right now, but you can calculate how long stick and how fast motor you need, in order to reach speed of light at tip of that stick. in theory its possible, but it all comes down to ... how long the stick has to be and how fast motor has to spin.
speed of sound is about 768mph and light is 873697 times faster than sound. ... to think of it logically, that human with a whip can make tip of the whip go subsonic .. then think what machines can do ? if the "whip" is like 1km long and motor spinning it, is going super fast.

ok i just did a quick search and already found a tiny motor capable of doing 220000rpm ...so yeah, im sure they can easily reach 1 mil rpm
again, its just math. if core of motor moves at certain speed to reach 1mil rpm, then how fast would it move if you put even 10cm stick on it.
its like helicopter, motor is maybe like 10000rpm, but that's what blades do, speed on tip of the blade is a lot higher.
or another good example, is car. if your speedometer is calibrated for 20 inch tyres and you put on 22 inch tyres, then you will be travelling faster than your speedometer shows.
if you do the math correct, you know how fast motor you need and how long stick you need, in order to reach speed of light on tip of that stick.

so what im saying, using this method it might be possible to make tip of the stick go on speed of the light and attach camera onto it.
in space it should be possible, but another issue in space, is that nothing has mass, so that stick has equal "mass" to whole motor and whatever it is attached to.
like in one science show, they showed how they changed solar panels on a satellite, they had to actually attach themselves to satellite when undoing screws, because if they didn't, then instead of undoing the screw, they were spinning around the screw themselves.

in theory this method would work perfectly
User avatar
Sethioz
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 4757
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:11 pm
Location: unknown

Re: Defeating the Speed of Light

Postby Legu » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:46 pm

"he says that from lights point of view it has no speed because basically it cant see itself. so are you telling me you are travelling at the speed of light legu? "

These two sentences definitely show that u are probaly the biggest retard i have ever meet. U got my award.
User avatar
Legu
Allie
Allie
 
Posts: 232
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:47 pm

Re: Defeating the Speed of Light

Postby Sethioz » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:04 pm

Legu you're the only retard here. learn to read TITLE of the topic and its not just this topic, you keep posting some retarded nonsense all the time. you blabber about some nonsense, because you're idiot and do not understand how things work and even worse is, that you are not willing to learn either, you keep on going with your nonsense and then you wonder why people call you idiot. it's because you really are idiot. you don't even understand what people tell you, you just keep on going with your nonsense, you're dillusional.

do you know, that while sitting still behind your pc, you still move ? because earth moves, galaxies move ..etc, so you still MOVE and have speed, idiot.
just like if you are running on the treadmill / training belt, running 10km/h then from other person's point of view you have no speed, but from treadmill's point of view, you are moving 20km/h.
or like 2 cars driving side by side at same speed, from eachother's point of view, they have no speed, but if cars drive towards eachother at 50km/h, then from eachother's point of view their speed is 100km/h.
same from car's point of view, if you drive a car at 50km/h, thene from car's point of view, it has no speed.

or why are you seeing things ? your eyes can't see themselves, meaning you should be blind if you stick to your stupid theory, but you're not blind, why ? because you're wrong.

so what you are saying light not having speed, it is from LIGHT's point of view moron. as far as any observer is concerned, light has actual, physical speed, just like anything else.

just because things do not have speed from their own prespective, does not mean they have no speed at all lol.
FFS idiot, this is the stuff you learn in like 1st grade ! .. i guess nowdays they don't teach that in school anymore.

do you even realize what you are saying ? you're just talking some random shit.

NO MORE OFFTOPIC in here! that goes for others too.
User avatar
Sethioz
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 4757
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:11 pm
Location: unknown


Return to Science / Technology

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron