High pitched / frequancy noise coming from PSU

talk about your computer or ask what program to use or what video card you like. others includes things like wordlists or color temps on monitor
Sethioz
Admin
Admin
Custom: Gaming YT > https://youtube.com/SethiozEntertainment
Game Hacking YT > https://youtube.com/sethioz
Game Hacks Store > https://sethioz.com/shopz

High pitched / frequancy noise coming from PSU

Post by Sethioz »

This is about high pitched / frequancy noise / sound coming from PSU (power supply unit). I googled and lot of ppl seem to be having this issue.
I bought 800w black storm PSU and about week after using pc i started having same thing, it is extremely annoying and drives you nutz. I could have sent PSU back and waited like 2-3 weeks and sit without new pc .. naah. not my style. PSU aint worth the hassle. couldn't fit old one in there duo the short cables, old psu was made to be top mounted not at bottom like good pc cases have it.

anyway there is a "fix" for this problem, but first the cause.
i can't tell exactly what causes it, most likely it is just bad psu, but still not an explanation. It comes from the transformer itself, that takes 220v and transforms it into 12v or less, suitable for PC. its electricity that causes it. might be sparkling little bit or who knows. It is also called "coil whine" at least some ppl have used that term for this sound.

here's what you can do about it.
-power down your machine
-if it has switch, turn it off
-unplug the main cable
-take the psu out of PC, if cables are long enought you don't have to disconnect it from motherboard and rest of the machine, just enought to get it out.
-now open it up carefully, make sure you don't rip any wires. sometimes fan wires are very short and can easily be ripped off of the PSU board, some PSUs have proper socket, but still pay attention to what you doing.
-get some oil and pour it all over the main transformer and other small component just to make sure.
it is best to use special machine oil that is meant for precise machinery, like small fans, power tools..etc, but any oil will do, even cooking oil.
no need to worry about shortcircuiting it, since oil does not conduct electricity, this is why it helps.
it "plugs" all the caps and makes it more stable.

for me it helped and sound is completely gone. after i put oil first time, i still heard it a little, but then i put some more oil and left it for the night and now its quiet.

however it's still best to get new PSU.
additionally you can find / make a small plastic container around PSU and fill it with mineral oil. so PSU sits totally inside of oil, that would be best option ofcourse. you can use some milk bottle or anything else that is slightly bigger than PSU. my PSU sits at bottom of PC, so its easily doable.
this method also gives very very long lifetime to PSU. i have some PSUs from PCs that have been used every day for like 5 years and they still work, so putting it into oil should make PSU last at least 20 years.