How to make Momos/Momos recipe

Stuff that does not fit elsewhere and also global news like corona or russki war
KEN
Special
Special

How to make Momos/Momos recipe

Post by KEN »

Dont know we call it at other places but here its called "Momo" and collection or more than one "Momo" we call them "Momos"....simple.
This is how they look like:
3678465442_04aa5ffe20.jpg
3678465442_04aa5ffe20.jpg (135.37 KiB) Viewed 6986 times
U can choose between veg or non-veg,your choice though i notice no taste difference.

Ingredients

To make the dough

1 lb (500 g) all purpose flour
water
To make the meat filling
1lb (500 g) ground minced meat (water buffalo is traditional, but beef, pork, lamb or a mixture work well)
1 cup onion, finely chopped
1 cup cabbage, finely chopped
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
1 tablespoon garlic, minced
1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
1 teaspoon cumin powder
1 teaspoon coriander powder
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon timur (Szechwan pepper)
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
3 fresh red chilies, minced (optional)
salt to taste (~1 teaspoon)
To make the vegetarian filling
1 lb (500 g) cabbage, finely chopped
1 lb (500 g) tofu, cubed
1/4 lb (250g) mushrooms (shitake or portobello work well)
1 cup onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup cilantro (coriander), chopped
1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
1 teaspoon cumin powder
1 teaspoon vegetable bouillon (stock)
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon timur (Szechwan pepper)
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
3 fresh red chilies, minced (optional)
salt to taste
To make the sauce

3 large tomatoes
1 bell pepper (capsicum)
3 green chilies
1 cup cilantro (coriander), chopped
1 tablespoon ginger, minced
1 teaspoon cumin powder
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
Salt to taste
EditSteps

Make the sauce.

1 Roast the tomatoes, bell pepper and chilies, by either putting them over an open flame or by cutting them in half and putting them under a broiler until the skin blackens and splits .
2 Place all the sauce ingredients in a blender until they are smooth. Add some water if necessary.
3 Refrigerate the sauce until momo are ready to be served.

Make the filling.

1Mix all the ingredients thoroughly in a bowl, preferably by hand.
2Refrigerate until ready to use.

Make the dough.

1Pour all the flour onto a large, clean surface.
2Make a well in the pile of flour and mix in about 1/2 cup of water.
3Mix the flour and water very well by hand and keep adding water until you make a ball of dough that sticks to itself, but does not cling to your hand.
4Knead the dough very well until it is flexible and smooth.
Make the wrappers.

1Roll the dough out on a well floured surface until it is 1/8in (3mm) thick. Use a 2in (5cm) cookie cutter or glass to cut out the rounds of dough.
2Pinch a small piece of dough and roll it into a smooth ball in your hands. You can now flatten it into a circle using a rolling pin or a chapati/tortilla press.
Assembling momo.

1For round momo:
Put one round of dough in your left hand, and add a tablespoonful of filling in the center of the dough.
With your right hand pinch a little bit of the edge of the dough together - just enough to make a small fold between your thumb and forefinger.
Continue pinching around the circle little by little, keeping your thumb in place. Use your forefinger to grab the next little piece of dough, folding and pinching it into the original fold/pinch being held by your thumb. Basically, you will be pinching the whole edge of the circle into one spot.
Continue folding and pinching all around the edge of the circle until you come back around to where you started and then close the hole with a final pinch. Make sure you seal the hole on top of the momo.
2For half-moon momo:
Put one round of dough in your left hand, and add a tablespoonful of filling in the center of the dough.
Fold your circle of dough in half, covering over the filling.
Pinch the two edges of the half circle so that there is no open edge in your half circle, and the filling is completely enclosed in the dough. This is the basic half-moon shape. You can experiment with different folds and pinches to seal the momo to make it more decorative.
Cooking momo.

1For steamed momo:
Boil water in a large steamer pot.
Lightly oil the steamer basket with vegetable oil to keep the momos from sticking.
Place momo in the steamer basket so that they do not touch each other or the sides of the basket.
Steam the momo for 10 minutes.
2For pan-fried momo:
Heat a frying pan to medium high heat.
Light coat the bottom of the pan with vegetable oil.
Carefully place momo in the pan so that they do not touch each other or the sides of the pan.
Fry until golden brown.
Pour about 1 tablespoon of water into the hot pan and quickly cover, to finish the momo by steaming.
3Serve the momo immediately after cooking them - they are best when piping hot. The sauce can either be poured over the momo, or served on the side for dunking.

Make sure you have a non-stick surface and a damp cloth or lid handy to keep the assembled momo from drying out while you are assembling more. You can lay the momos in the lightly-greased steamer and keep the lid on them, or you can lay them on wax paper and cover them with the damp cloth.
Momo are usually bite-sized foods. They can be quite juicy, so be careful when you bite into them.
Do not let the dough dry out, or it will be hard to work with.
I Love Momos,can eat more than 40-50 if i get them :D
MagicalSilence
Special
Special
Custom: Retired :3

Re: How to make Momos/Momos recipe

Post by MagicalSilence »

Ooo cooking recipes o..o

Haven't heard of momos thot o.O i gues its quite close to what we call pelmeni least close in some point.
KEN
Special
Special

Post by KEN »

By looking at pelmeni its looking same as momos,but pelmeni is different.Momos are easy to make or buying from market is better since they cost very less.Less than a cup of coffee XD

Forgot to mention,momos can b of 2 types: steamed and fried.

U can eat directly after they r steamed,or u can half fry the steamed momos and they become fried.Steamed one tastes better but everyone has different choice.
Sethioz
Admin
Admin
Custom: Gaming YT > https://youtube.com/SethiozEntertainment
Game Hacking YT > https://youtube.com/sethioz
Game Hacks Store > https://sethioz.com/shopz

Post by Sethioz »

i like these kind of things, but dont have much time for cooking. that pic looks so awsome, did you made it ? (pic and/or momos)
also tortelloni (or however you spell it) is something similar.
these kind of things are best with sour cream
KEN
Special
Special

Post by KEN »

i looked into reicpe of tortelloni,and they r almost same but momos r a bit more spicy.Did not see recipe for pelmeni though it looks like dumpling in pics.
I hav made them many times(not the pic,its from google) but i prefer buying from momo shop since we get it in 5 minutes.To make it,it usually takes 30 minutes.Here these r sold in same shops which sell chowmein,noodles,soup etc..I make them when i hav things already at home.They dont get spoiled or anything for long.They become cold,u fry them or steam them again and they will b back to same.
junaidj988

Post by junaidj988 »

Sethioz wrote:i like these kind of things, but dont have much time for cooking. that pic looks so awsome, did you made it ? (pic and/or momos)
also tortelloni (or however you spell it) is something similar.
these kind of things are best with sour cream
hmmm i also like these kind because its too tasty my dear friend.
thefinalrune
Newbie..
Newbie..

Post by thefinalrune »

OMG, its Chinese dumplings/pot stickers. Well, they look like them anyway.

Going to have to give that a try.
KEN
Special
Special

Post by KEN »

I searched,they are Tibetan Dumplings not chinese :)